It feels good to be back with some recipes! I've missed my kitchen a bit. Today, I'm cooking up a simple spicy stew with some turkey sausage.
Turkey sausage (2 links)
Black beans (1/4 cup)
Sweet corn (1/4 cup)
Tomato sauce (1/4 cup)
Curry powder (1 tsp)
Dried hot pepper (1/2 tsp)
Onion (1 medium bulb)
Garlic (1 tsp diced)
Olive oil (1 tsp)
A dash of salt
- Soak the black beans for at least 2 hours before cooking, so it softens up.
- Cook the black beans with no seasoning for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the corn for about 10 minutes (while the beans is cooking).
- Chop the onion and dice the turkey sausage to the size you like.
- Put the olive oil in a pan and heat it up for about 2 minutes. When you believe it is hot enough to fry, throw in the onions and the garlic.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the oil stirring them frequently until they start to turn just a tad brown (see "just a tad").
- Throw in the sausage. As it cooks, remember to flip consistently to avoid sticking. Since we are not using much oil, we should keep stirring until the juices from the sausages are enough to keep it going.
- Add in the black beans, the corn, the curry, the salt, and the pepper. Leave it to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, turn down the heat a little, and let it all simmer for about 10 minutes so the sausage absorbs the tomato sauce, and the beans absorbs the juice from the sausage.
- Eat alone or serve with a solid like potatoes or plantains. I chose boiled plantains :)
Try it and let me know what you think! This recipe serves about 2 people. This was about 350 calories per person, but it all depends on the turkey sausage you use as well! Some have more calories than others. Also, don't forget that your side has calories too!
Cheers Eights & Weights!