So I received a care package today with some roasted unsalted almonds from 'Whole Foods' (I miss Whole Foods so...). I love almonds because they are soooo nutritious, but they also taste so good! I'm not one to ruin the fantasy of my nuts with all that salt. Good and plain is great for me.
Okay, so why am I going on about these almonds? Besides the fact I haven't had nuts in a month and a half, it is also because I wanted to talk to you about the positive benefits of almonds. Here goes:
- Almonds contain a lot of protein. A handful of almonds has more protein than an egg (about 7.6g to about 5.5g).
- They help to lower the risk of cardiovascular and coronary heart diseases (per the results of several studies published in the British Journal of Nutrition).
- Almonds have been known to help lower bad cholesterol (LDL).
- They contain tons of fiber (about 3.5g per ounce) which helps keep you fuller longer.
- Almonds contain tons of vitamin E and other antioxidants that help you feel great day and night.
- Emmm.... they taste good... duh!
As with any food, be careful with your portions. An ounce contains just about 160 calories. But if you have the tendency to OD like me, you need to make sure you keep your portions in check.
Cheers Eights & Weights!