Last night, a friend asked me about my diet, and I remember saying something like I eat normally. I woke up thinking about this, and I realized that I lied terribly. And what's worse is that I hate people that do that when they talk about food.
My diet is actually quite restrictive, and I wanted to be very honest. If you know me, you know I like to be open about my regimen as it could help others. So I thought I'd share some of my diet restrictions. I don't like to make a fuss when I'm eating with friends so I usually don't come off as the "dieting type", but 80% of my meals are quite calculated.
- My drinks are restricted to tea and water, with the very occasional glass of wine or natural juice. No use using up all my calories on drinks, right?
- Heavy starchy foods? Nope. (Yams, garri, and all sorts of 'swallows'). You can catch me on the corner ordering a sauce without the starch. I get my carbs through whole grains mostly.
- Unless I'm splurging (aka brunch), breakfast is mostly pretty limited: oatmeal, eggs and toast, or plain wheat cereals (like Weetabix).
- I don't eat mammals because it is just easier for me. I usually try to stick to chicken breast, turkey breast, or fish where possible. Where not possible, I skin the bird.
- A considerable amount of my meals are goat food (aka salads). I also cook a lot of my own food and pack lunches.
- I will always pick whole grain over white if it is available as it keeps me fuller longer.
- I struggle with nuts and nut butters, so I have to track my nut consumption. But besides that, I do not keep snacks at home.
- On the weekends, it is a little harder, but on weekdays, I eat at specific times and I plan most of my meals ahead to make sure I am eating at the best time to burn the most calories, and not consuming more than my body needs.
- If I struggle with a certain food, I usually don't buy it at home. E.g. Bread and peanut butter :(
- I am the first to say no to dessert.
- My dairy intake is very limited.
- I do cheat once in a while, but not in the things I've completely cut out, like soda, milk, or red meat.
- Portion control is the absolute BIGGEST thing I observe.
So I don't starve myself by any means, but I make very very conscious life decisions that I know can last. I hope this helps you as you navigate your diet.
Cheers Eights & Weights!